My best friend and greatest supporter

My best friend and greatest supporter
I LOVE this man!!!!

Friday, April 1, 2011

Don't wait - donate TODAY!

Yes, I'm doing it again and again and again - I signed up for the 2011 Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure again this year!  The 3-Day for the Cure events have been such a life changing experience for me these past 2 years that I decided to go back for a LOT more this year.  I walked in Tampa in 2009, and I walked in DC and Tampa last year.   I'm so excited about these events that I will be walking in Boston, DC, and Tampa this year.  Each year I keep raising the bar, but walking 60 miles in 3 days makes such a bold statement in the fight against breast cancer that I am compelled to do it.  I know what I’ve gotten myself into which is a total of 180 event miles and raising a minimum of $6900!  In addition to the events, I also became a Training Walk Leader which means I am volunteering to help train other 3-Day walkers, and I became a 3 Day Ambassador.  I believe so strongly in this cause that I train year round and walk over 1800 miles a year to ensure that I am physically prepared for these walks.

This seems to be my year of threes as it is the third year I’m walking in the 3-Day for the Cure.  I am also walking in 3 events this year to honor 3 sisters who all lost their battle to breast cancer.  I met their brother while walking in DC last year.  He lost 2 of his sisters last summer and the last sister passed away a few short weeks before that event.  I was so moved by his story that I dedicated my Tampa walk last year to his sisters.  This year I am dedicating one walk to each sister so I can help him continue to fight their fight for them.  Although I am honoring them, I am also walking because I look forward to a future where pink becomes just a color again and breast cancer becomes nothing more than a foot note in the history books.  I walk because I don’t want another brother to lose a sister, a child to lose a mother, a husband to lose his wife, etc., etc., etc.  Together, we can find a cure, and through the research Susan G. Komen funds, we are getting closer to finding that cure every day.

These events are not easy, but I promise you, I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't believe 100% that it was worth every muscle ache, every painful blister, every leg cramp, weary night and training walk.  However, the toughest part for me is the fundraising.  I find it extremely difficult to ask, but I’m not asking for myself.  I am asking for you and your loved ones.  If breast cancer has touched your life or the life of a friend or loved one, you know how devastating a breast cancer diagnosis can be.  For my friend who lost 3 sisters, he knows the devastation and pain it causes not just for the person with the disease, but all their family and friends as well.  This is a hideous disease and it often strikes without warning.  In fact, every 69 seconds someone’s life spins out of control with the news that they too have breast cancer.  If you have been lucky enough to not be touched by breast cancer, don’t wait until you feel the heartache to make a donation.  I am committed to keep walking until breast cancer is no longer a threat.   I walk because everyone deserves a lifetime and because I can.

I make this journey every year, I train constantly, and I suffer all the aches, pains, and blisters to fight this fight, but I need your help.   I raised $4,600 last year and it was tough!  To be honest, I fell short so I had to make up the difference out of my own pocket.  Despite knowing how hard it was last year, I am still willing to train and fundraise for a third walk this year.  I’m a little nervous because I have to raise a minimum of $6900, but I would be thrilled to exceed that minimum this year to help end breast cancer.  I know and trust that my friends and family have my back, and won’t let me fail.  Many of you have supported me and this fight over the years, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  Unfortunately, this fight is a marathon not a sprint, so I’m hoping I can count on your support again this year.  For those of you, who have not made a donation yet, please make one this year to support my fundraising efforts and this important cause.  You may want to consider making that donation every month for the next four months by using the payment plan option available when you donate online.  Many companies have matching gifts programs, so ask your employer if they will add to your donation with a matching gift as well.

To make a donation, simply follow any of the links below to visit one of my personal fundraising Web pages.   If you don't want to donate online, you can download and print a donation form from that page that you can mail.  Together we can and do make a difference.  Net proceeds from the 3-Day for the Cure are invested in breast cancer research and community programs.  The funds stay in the community where it is collected, so give to any or all of the cities where I am walking.

My personal fundraising Web pages are at the following addresses:

If you have any questions or want to hear more about what I'm doing, please feel free to contact me because I love talking about these life-changing and life-saving events.  From the bottom of my heart I thank you for all of your support.  I am incredibly blessed to have people like you in my life!

Love,
Lisa R. Cummings

P.S.  I am trying to meet my fundraising goal early this year, so please don’t wait - donate today!

No comments:

Post a Comment